Friday, January 23, 2015

Journal Two: Katie


Hello! I am Katie and a Junior at Ohio State. I was born and raised in Westerville, OH. I am the second child of four, with an older brother, a younger sister, and a younger brother. Besides myself and my siblings living under the roof, my family owns 3 dogs- two terriers and a lab. Suffice it to say, it is quite busy and noisy here. I enjoy reading and watching Netflix because they are lots of fun and you can learn a lot from them. Pizza is also a lot of fun, plus buffalo chicken dip. They are both very yummy.

I find the textbook interesting because it is not written like other textbooks. In most the author says there are only one or two ways to do something and in this textbook, the author says their way may not be the best way for students to learn writing. I find it oddly refreshing that the author realizes his way of teaching may not be the best for everyone. At the same time, it makes me confused because that means something I write may be the opposite of what he says, and still be right. This should be interesting to see how this class goes.

For the Poem "Homage to my hips" I find it funny in a way. She realizes with her hips there are benefits and drawbacks. Like she can no longer "fit into little petty places" but she has "known them to put a spell on a man." I like how she repeats hips, as it makes the poem flow. She also speaks truthfully about her hips in a way I have not thought about my hips. It is true, what I find so enjoyable.

3 comments:

  1. Katie, I also love dogs. And you have three. Wow. I had a blue heeler for 11 years named Loki but he passed, and I haven't felt like the time is right for new dog yet. They are such great companions and loyal, which can be hard to find in humans.

    Creative writing is in some ways known and in some ways a mystery. Most people who work in it realize this and accept that. To me this is just like life itself, so balancing between what works or is conventional and what is still out there to be discovered in some ways you can think of as very healthy and normal activity, albeit not something you see overwhelmingly in a typical university class.

    Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I said it before, but I lived in Westerville, too. Really nice place. I heard many students at Westerville South complain that it was a boring place, but that's really just kid-speak for safe.
    Homage to my hips was such a good poem. I don't think she meant "fit into little petty places" as a bad thing. I'm pretty sure it means that she's too big for small things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked that poem too, it was simple, but it was very well written. It provides an effect that you can only get from poems written in that kind of style.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.