Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Journal Two from Dana

Hi, I'm Dana. I hate introductions that are assigned as classwork. They come off as awkward, forced, and insincere, and that's because they are awkward, forced, and insincere. If it wasn't disrespectful, I wouldn't do any introductions. I wouldn't even tell you my name.

Fun fact: I'm a people person.

I love drawing. I will probably be drawing in class. It helps me pay attention to lectures. Here, let me be a big showoff:


Untitled by Anthea-S on DeviantArt

The textbook is being delivered right now. Curse you, amazon snailmail.

I snickered when I read Homage to my hips. I have big hips, too. I understand "i have known them to put a spell on a man and spin him like a top." My boyfriend is definitely under a spell.

4 comments:

  1. Well Dana, I value all opinions, including yours on introductions, but I guess that depends on your perspective. I see writing as a chance to connect, and not as a false, stilted "requirment" even though you are correct, I did assign it. I assume people are sincere until they prove me wrong, so I"m willing to suspend my disbelief in order to read poems, write, establish relationships and start friendships, and overall, just try to communicate! Hope you can try the same! I encourage you to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said this in class too but I love the art and admire the ability to draw! If it makes you calm and inspires you, great and I think you've got lots of talent if you can just do that on the computer. It makes me think of the people who wrote illustrated poems back in the sheepskin and parchment days, as they always did drawings with the poems. William Blake was famous for this of course and in a more humorous way, Stevie Smith. My favorite poem by her is "Not Waving But Drowning", which ends with the lines --I was much too far out all my life and not waving but drowing". Very darkly funny, at least to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why does amazon take forever to mail things? I have ordered books from Ohio and they take like two weeks to get here! It doesn't make sense. Your drawing is very good! I personally am not the best at drawing, but I can write in a variety of ways, in different fonts like which I guess is better than nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you introduced yourself! I feel like I am a people person too! plus it is awesome that our class is so small so we could meet everyone and help each other out. I think it is crazy/awesome that you are taking multiple creative writing classes for your minor. By that picture though, i hope you are an arts major. It is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.