Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Journal Two From Maddie

Hey guys I'm Maddie. I tend to be a very laid back and down the Earth person. I did my freshman year of college at The University of Akron, and then transferred to OSU, which is the best decision I could have made. After moving back home from Akron, I decided to get my own apartment instead of moving back in with my dad. He was not kidding when he warned me not to be so eager to grow up. I work as a waitress at Bun's in Delaware, which is basically my second home, but I'm still the poster child for being a broke college student. I also like to think I was born in the wrong generation, since I don't know many other people my age with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers posters on their bedroom wall.

The best thing about this textbook is how real and aware the author is. The author knows exactly who his audience is and how to appeal to us. Most textbooks students are forced to read are dry and are a chore to read. Maybe it's because of the nature of this course. The author of a creative writing textbook is not going to write the same way as the author of my behavioral neuroscience textbook, and that is refreshing. Not only is the language easy to read, the author does a good job of reminding us of concepts we once learned and clearly laying out new ideas we may not have ever learned.

Lights by Stuart Dybek was my favorite poem out of the packet. I love the simplicity of and yet, it reminds me of being younger. While I never shouted "Lights" at cars, I can feel like I can still relate to it. "Waiting for the night, posed against the afterglow on corners" just takes me back to running around my friend's neighborhoods in the summer, before I had to spend my summers working.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Maddie and your dad was right: adult life has lots of bills but lot of rewards, too.

    Glad you are enjoying the tone of the author and I think all of you will realize deeper in the chapters that it's hard to have a "voice" when writing a textbook and you have lots of technical craft details and examples to cover in a fairly short space, but I think this writer does a commendable job for the task at hand.

    Hopefully if we take the textbook in smaller chunks, and also add in some humor and Hugo, we can actually have some fun while reading this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for getting your own apartment. I bet it is difficult to balance work and school life + all the responsibilities of having your own place. I also liked the poem lights too! I also felt like I was a kid again while reading the poem, though I never yelled lights either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am right there with you! Apartment, work, and school. It is a struggle! As long as we stick with it, it will be rewarding! My mother loves Tom Petty. I grew up hearing Tom Petty, ABABA, and Queen whenever she was cleaning lol. She used to play it on record. The day she tried to get rid of the record player and her records I had to beg her not to because of all the memories (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom Petty is the man! I was about to go see him at Interlocken but it didn't end up working out. Im still kicking myself to this day

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.