I kind of like the sound
of bitch- such a word,
seems to leap right off the tongue:
reminds me of a woman looking
directly at a man
(and he doesn't like it)
of a woman fighting with her kids
(but they need it)
of a woman needing something real
and swearing at the world
(and the world doesn't have it)
reminds me of when I have to
reach right down
inside me, right into
the fleshy hurt and let it
come inching out-then bursting out
by way of laugh/cry, and cry
being the best of all because then
the ocean that lives within
me shatters the seawall
of my reason
and washes over my sandyface and
I catch them on my tongue
and replenish the salt that evaporates
between tidal waves;
and maybe when I'm
reaching down to
fathoms of this sea
I never dreamed existed,
and the pull of the moon is
stronger than usual,
maybe I look like a bitch, probably
because that's what
I am.
I think this poem is a prose poem because it doesn't have stanzas and I don't think it fits into any of the other forms. The tone seems to be light, but the more you read, the more serious the poem is. It's almost a juxtaposition where she's like "I like this offensive word," (making fun of it, being light) then she's like "of a woman fighting with her kids" (suddenly serious and dark.) She's got a powerful metaphor where she connects the idea of laughing and crying, but mostly crying to being like overcome by the sea. She's got all of this imagery about the beach and it's easy to get lost in it and forget she's talking about crying, but that's okay because it's the same feeling. You get the same feeling from the two, so if you get lost and forget what the metaphor was about.
I love this poem. Especially that last metaphor, where she's crying with the sea metaphor, and then the sea metaphor becomes a metaphor for deep emotion. "Maybe when I'm reaching down to fathoms of this sea I never dreamed existed, and the pull of the moon is stronger than usual, maybe I look like a bitch, probably because that's what I am." She's saying that yeah, when she's being emotional, deeply emotional, she's a bitch. Because that's what she is. It's like the entire poem is a response to some jerk who called her a bitch for feeling deeply and expressing that emotion.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.