Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Journal 5 from Katie Vance


Dear Mr. LeVine,

     Before watching the video about you in class, I am ashamed to admit I have never heard of you. I am ashamed to admit that because I liked that video ad wish you were still around so I could learn more about you. It is sad you are no longer here, but your words and poems will live on in the books you have published. Death has not stopped you. You will be able to influence lives long after your death, as long as a reader picks up your book. What struck me most in your interview was how down- to-earth you were. You know how the world worked and that was that. You had your opinions, realized others would disagree with you but that was alright with you. I hope that I am able to be so warm and welcoming to others as you were. If I can achieve that warmth, then death will not stop me either because simple acts of respect and kindness can influence/ change other's lives.

       One thing that struck me from your interview was how you went back and explained your different opinions from the different stages of your life. It showed me how much one can change over the years without becoming someone bitter. It showed me people can grow old and still enjoy life, more so in their later years than their earlier ones. You said you were depressed in your twenties. I find that difficult to believe. Maybe the years were kind to you and helped changed your view. It shows me that I should still continue to wish the best for people even if they seem like meanie heads.

       My favorite poem you shared was "M. Degas Teaches Art and Sciences At Durfee Intermediate School." The way you were able to capture the students viewpoint of a long class was incredible. I have sat in classes where I knew they were going to be long, and I had longed for escape. Even though I have never been to Durfee Intermediate school, I have sat in classes where I felt like the speaker.  The lines "...the room stilled until the long hand of the clock went ti twenty one...and I knew this could go on forever" made me laugh. M. Degas seems like a teacher who wants a specific answer, yet none of the students know what it is so he keeps making them guess. I have had teachers similar and those classes do go on forever.

      I want to read more poems written by you. It seems like it would be fun. I hope you are happy with the life you lead. It seems like it was a fulfilling one for you.

Sincerely,



Katie Vance

2 comments:

  1. I agree, I wish I knew him before he passed. I'm jealous of his students who learned from him. If I were to meet one and they said they didn't like him, I would probably slap them. I wish he was still here too because he reminds me of a grandpa who sits on their porch and yells at children to get off his lawn. His stories weren't always interesting but his voice and how he carried his words made you want to listen and know more. I wish I could have spoken to him and most of all learn under him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's rare to find teachers that are as enthused and just truly excited about teaching and helping his students get better everyday whatever that may be. He's into it because he loves his job, and thats how everybody should approach their job\occupation.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.