Monday, February 2, 2015

Katie Journal 3


The English Canon By Adrienne Su

Its not that the first speakers left out women
Unless they were goddesses, harlots, or impossible loves
Seen from afar, often while bathing.

And it's not that the only parts my grandfathers could have played
Were extras in Xanadu,
Nor that it gives no instructions for shopping or cooking

The trouble is, I've spent my life
Getting over the lyrics
That taught me to brush my hair till it's gleaming,

Stay slim, dress tastefully, and not speak of sex,
Death, violence, or the desire for any of them,
And to let men do the talking and warring

And bringing of the good news. I know a girl's got to protest
These days, but she also has to make money
And do her share of journalism and combat,

And she has to know from the gut whom to trust,
Because what do her teachers know, living in books,
And what does she know, starting from scratch?

Part One: This is a free verse poem, written without meter. I also noted there is some consonance throughout many lines, like the fifth one with the "x's" sounds. It also occurs in line 10 with the "st" sound. The lines form a tercet and well because each stanza has 3 lines within it.

Part Two: I believe this poem is about the author coming to terms with herself and her capabilities. She knows the stereotypes given to women and though they are there, she wants to live outside the box. I feel like the tone is somewhat blue. Not bitter, not depressed, not melancholy, but more of a matter of fact type of tone.  It makes me think because it bring into play a lot of differing sides of being a woman, and whose words to listen to.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked this poem. I love the tone the author gives it. Like you said, it's not depressed or bitter, but shes basically saying "this is how it is, and this is how it needs to be" which I think is great.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.