Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Journal Four: Katie

Part One:
In chapter 8 of Triggering town, I think the fact that Hugo tried to be someone he wasn't was an important idea. Hugo tried to be a brave man while the war was going on and when he returned he came to the conclusion he won't ever be a brave man. This is important because it seems people tend to aspire to be like someone else, and feel like they always fall short. Once Hugo embraced his sensitive side, he felt better about his experience in Italy when he returned. He states "I am not sure why I'd come back, but I felt it must be the best reason in the world." Hugo went on a journey to finally come to peace with himself, and I think people, including me, show learn from his experience so we do not waste time in our lives.

In chapter 9, I think the idea that is most valuable is the idea that everyone is human and deserves to be treated as such. He claims he worked with  a man named "C" and the that "C was easy to dislike if you only saw his surface." Then he goes on explaining why C was misunderstood, and that even he (Hugo) realized C was a person with feelings and deserves to be treated as a human. I think it's a lesson everyone should learn, and if people treated each other with more kindness then the word would be a happier place.

Part Two:
Learning poems from the book is helpful because it helps me get my ideas out onto paper in a way readers can understand it (hopefully). However the bad thing about the book is that it sometimes limits my ideas into a certain amount of line and syllables. Either way my poem is created and I feel better because of it!

My process of getting poems starts with me finding inspiration, which can be very tricky to find. Once I find it, the rest of the poem comes much more easily for me. I may have a difficult time finding the right word or phase, but that gets remedied soon enough. I tend to struggle when I have a great idea and I see the picture of it in my mind, but I have no idea how to transfer the picture into words. I tend to get all worked up, and no work can get done when I am in that state. I also like to write when it is quiet, so my opportunities are slim on when I can write because I tend to be around noise more often than not. Writing poems is not always the easiest but I am able to write them eventually.

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you on your ideas about chapter 8. Actually, I was going to use that same concept for my journal but you beat me to it! It's almost like we see a transformation in him when he finally accepts who he really is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you on your ideas about chapter 8. Actually, I was going to use that same concept for my journal but you beat me to it! It's almost like we see a transformation in him when he finally accepts who he really is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way about creating the material for any poem, its hard to make up ideas on the spot and translate them onto paper. The result never seems to be what you expected

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like he related to C because he was judged by his students and co-workers also. He didn't feel accepted till those people left his life and then the people who remained helped shape the new people to understand him. I have trouble finding the right word or phrase too. what is awful is when you know what word you want to use, it is on the tip of your tongue, but you can't remember it!!!! grrr!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.